From a dream and a vision and a desire to have healthy eggs,
My Crazy Homeschool Project!
The lumber arrived.
The children were anxious to help!
There's a lot of learning here, math and science, galore!
Here is a view with the front door open so you can see inside.
Straight ahead are the nesting boxes.
The top 5 reasons that kept my husband from wanting to get chickens:
1. a coop-where would it go, what would it look like, would be build it or buy one (probably build one which leads to reason number two)
2. costs-chickens cost money, for the coop, fencing, feed, for the chickens themselves, etc. etc.
3. Time-they take time to care for and you can't just up and leave them and go on vacation, they need care
4. Noise-they can be loud, if we ever got chickens, we would not get a rooster he said.
5. Smell-chickens smell, and they need care, back to reason number 3 and 2.
But in the end the Top 10 reasons to have chickens out weighed the other 5!
1. Fresh eggs
2. Weeds and pest control
3. Table scraps eaters
4. Fertilizers for the garden
5. Educational-great homeschooling lessons here!
6. Fun for the kids-children LOVE chickens!
7. Promotes love of family and farm friends
8. Potential small business opportunity for the kids
9. They're kinda' cute, we get to name them!
10. FRESH FREE RANGE ORGANIC EGGS!